Social Work

Major Academic Plans or MAPs show what courses to take each semester to meet your major's requirements. Using the DARS Degree Planner in partnership with your MAP will keep you on track and help you graduate from HSU in 4 years.

Find Your MAP

Two-semester sequence
English composition
(ENGL 102 & 103)
ENGL 102/103 +
GE Math/STAT 108
Accelerated English compostition
(ENGL 104)
ENGL 104 +
GE Math/STAT 108
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Major in Social Work



Picking your MAP starts with deciding on the first-year English and math classes that will best support your success. As part of the Freshmen Orientation, you’ll take the mandatory online registration tutorial that helps you:

  • determine your CSU designated math "placement  category" (1, 2, 3 or 4)
  • choose your English class(es) through a similar self-directed process
  • choose your Math class(es) based on your major and category information as described in the online registration tutorial

Once you know the math and English classes that you’ll be starting with, select the major and concentration (if applicable), and choose the MAP under the concentration with those class titles in the name.

If you have earned college credit through exams (Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), etc., or college coursework from another school:

  • you may already have some the requirements on your MAP completed
  • check your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to see how transfer credit applies to your degree.
  • if you've already met a requirement on the MAP, choose other GE, major or elective classes instead - we recommend that you do this in consultation with an academic advisor. See Transfer Credit at Humboldt State for more information.

Disclosure of Student Information

We take your privacy seriously. Read more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).