Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

All student records at Cal Poly Humboldt are kept in accordance with the provision of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The campus is authorized under the Act to release student directory information to the general public. The university does not release any other information to non-university persons or organizations without your permission. Read the Student Records Access Policy.

Directory information includes:

·         student name

·         address (on-campus residence hall addresses are not released to the public)

·         email

·         telephone number (on-campus residence hall telephone numbers are only released with prior permission of the resident)

·         date & place of birth

·         major field of study

·         participation in officially recognized activities and sports

·         weight & height (members of athletic teams)

·         photographs

·         dates of attendance

·         class level

·         enrollment status (full-time/part-time, undergraduate, graduate)

·         degrees and awards received

·         most recent previous educational agency or institution attended

Confidential Status

Students who wish to prevent the release of directory information (listed above) may request confidential status. Request for confidential status.

Some of the effects of confidential status are:

Student’s email will be excluded from the Humboldt student email directory;

Student’s name will not be printed in the commencement program at graduation (unless specifically requested on the request for confidential status of directory information);

Outside persons or organizations (including friends or family) trying to reach the student will not be able to do so through the university;   the university will be unable to verify student’s degree, major or enrollment for potential employment; and

information may not be provided to outside parties offering some scholarship, career and other opportunities and benefits

Students have the right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education regarding compliance with FERPA. The contact information for the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office

US Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20202-4605

Phone: 202-260-3887     FAX: 202-260-9001

Individuals who use TDD may call the Federal Information Relay Service at 800-877-8339.

Student Papers, Theses, or Projects

Graduate student theses, or projects must be archived with the University Library available to interested members of the public. Students may wish to secure copyrights for their work. For more information see Humboldt Digital Scholar at or contact the Office of Academic Programs & Undergraduate/Graduate Studies at

Disclosure of Student Information

Agencies of the State of California may request, for recruitment purposes, information including the names, addresses, major fields of study, and total units completed of CSU students and former students. The university is required by law to release such information to state agencies. Students may restrict in writing release of such information. Students may also forbid release of any personally identifiable information to state agencies or any other person or organization. Forms requesting the withholding of personally identifiable information are available in the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, or on the web at

Records on the Web

Students may access their confidential student records on the web, including unofficial Cal Poly Humboldt transcripts, information on grades, holds, addresses, and financial aid. The Humboldt username and password are required to access student records

Social Security Number

Cal Poly Humboldt uses the social security number to identify students and their records including identification for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement and the repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the institution. Also, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires the university to file information returns that include the student’s social security number and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses and interest on educational loans. This information is used by the IRS to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes.

ID Cards

ID cards are used for the library, Student Health & Counseling Center, and various campus services, as well as to pick up financial aid checks, ride the local transit system, and obtain student discounts for campus events. For further information visit the ID Services website at

Disclosure of Student Information

We take your privacy seriously. Read more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).