Graduation Requirements

Unit Requirements (Bachelor's Degree)


120 units for a Bachelor of Arts degree

120 units for a Bachelor of Science degree

Upper Division

40 units for a Bachelor of Arts degree

Units with limits

The maximum number of units accepted for a bachelor's degree are:

  • 6 units from intercollegiate athletics
  • 2 units from intramural
  • 24 units from credit grades (taken at HSU)
  • 24 units from Open University (see HSU catalog for details)
  • 24 units from Extended Education (do not count toward residence)
  • 70 units from a community college

Distribution of Units

48 units General Education & All-University Requirements (GEAR)

GEAR worksheet

Major* requirements vary from major to major. See program descriptions in the university catalog.

Minor/Electives to bring total units to 120.

Graduation Writing Proficiency Exam (GWPE)

You may take the GWPE after completing:

  • 60 semester units (junior standing) and
  • ENGL 103 or ENGL 104 (or an equivalent college composition course with a C- or better).

We highly recommend that you take the examination no later than two semesters before you plan to graduate. See the GWPE Website for more information. CSU degree requirement: must pass to graduate

Residence Requirement 

To graduate from Humboldt State University, you need to earn at least 30 units from courses taken here, with a minimum of:

  • 24 units upper division,
  • 12 units upper division major courses,
  • 9 units general education

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Your overall GPA, major GPA and HSU GPA must be at least 2.0

Degree Check

Apply to graduate 3 semesters before you expect to complete all your degree requirements.

*Major minimum unit requirements: A Bachelor of Arts (BA) requires a minimum of 24 units of major coursework, including 12 upper division, excluding GE and a Bachelor of Science (BS) requires a minimum of 36 units major coursework, including 18 upper division, excluding GE.

Disclosure of Student Information

We take your privacy seriously. Read more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).