Second Bachelor's Degree

This webpage is specifically for individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree and want to pursue an additional bachelor’s degree.

If you are pursuing your first bachelor's degree, you may not earn a concurrent second degree, but you may add a second major. See the policy for second majors (double majors) on the Forms & Policies webpage or the Second Major or Concentration Request form.

Second Bachelor's Admissions

Register for Classes

To find out when you can register for classes, see the enrollment timelines for new and continuing post-baccalaureate students.

Prerequisite Approval

If you earned your original bachelor’s degree at Humboldt, your coursework will be in our system for prerequisite verification.

If you earned your original bachelor’s degree at another institution, your coursework will not be recorded in our system. You will need to contact the instructor and/or department office to seek approval to enroll based on your previous coursework. If approved, they will provide a permission number for you to use to enroll in the course.

Major Requirements & Major Contract (Second Bachelor's Degree)

During your first semester at Humboldt:

  1. Review the major requirements in the university catalog. 

  2. Schedule an appointment to meet with your major advisor.

  3. Complete a major contract in consultation with your major advisor. Your major contract will include all major requirements, including completed, in-progress and planned courses. 

  4. Provide course descriptions or syllabi for any undergraduate or transfer courses that are applicable to your current major. Your advisor will review the documentation and determine how those courses will apply to your degree. 

  5. Submit your major contract (approved by your major advisor and your department chair) to the Office of the Registrar. 

Second Bachelor’s Degree Requirements

As a second bachelor’s degree-seeking student, you will not have an interactive Degree Audit Report (DARS) like undergraduate students pursuing their first degree. You will need to apply for graduation in order to receive a full evaluation and degree check prepared by your graduation counselor.

Residency Requirement

Complete at least 30 units in residence at Humboldt since completion of the first bachelor’s degree*. Of those units, 24 must be must be upper division coursework, and 12 of the upper division units must be in the major.

* For students in the RN to BSN major who have already earned a baccalaureate degree the residency requirement is reduced to 27 semester units (Title 5, Section 40403).


Complete all units required in the major.

Minimum GPA Requirement

Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the major and 2.0 in all units attempted at Humboldt since the awarding of the last degree.

Application for Graduation & Degree Check

Complete a Second Bachelor’s Degree Application for Graduation. See Student Financial Services: Other Fees for current graduation fees. After your application is processed, your Graduation Counselor will prepare your degree check. A degree check will provide a complete evaluation of your progress toward the second degree.To be eligible for graduation, you must have a major contract and an application for graduation on file with the Office of the Registrar.

Honors at Graduation for Second Bachelor’s Degree Candidates

Cal Poly Humboldt awards honors to second bachelor’s degree candidates at graduation, based on the following criteria:

  • Completion of 30 units in letter-graded coursework in residence at Humboldt
  • Earned a minimum GPA of 3.50 on all work taken at Humboldt
  • Earned an overall minimum GPA of 3.50 on all work attempted, (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate), including all transfer work

The overall grade point average determines which honors the student receives at graduation:

SUMMA CUM LAUDE (highest honors) - 3.85 to 4.00

MAGNA CUM LAUDE (high honors) - 3.70 to 3.84

CUM LAUDE (honors) - 3.50 to 3.69


Disclosure of Student Information

We take your privacy seriously. Read more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).