Transfer Credit

Got transfer credit?

We’re here to help you understand how the credit you have earned will transfer to your degree at Cal Poly Humboldt.

Course Credit

Cal Poly Humboldt generally accepts credit from regionally accredited colleges or universities, if:

  • the course is intended for a baccalaureate degree, and
  • you earned a passing grade

The following types of credit generally do not transfer to Cal Poly Humboldt.

  • courses not intended for a baccalaureate degree;
  • technical, vocational or remedial courses; or
  • courses from a non-regionally accredited institution.

Articulation agreements (aka “course equivalencies”) are published on ASSIST and show how courses taken at one institution will transfer to Cal Poly Humboldt. See articulation for additional rules and information.


Explore how course credits earned at one California Community College, California State University or University of California campus can be applied when transferred to another campus. ASSIST is the official, statewide repository of course articulation agreements and transfer information in the state of California. ASSIST also displays lower division major preparation course agreements.

Other Credit

Challenging a Course

Challenging a course requires the approval of the instructor and department chair. Their approval will be based on your preparation and background, the nature of the work to be covered, and the availability of qualified staff members to give the examination.

If you are interested in challenging a course, applications for internal credit by examination are available from the Office of the Registrar. Submit application (approved by the instructor and department chair) to the Office of the Registrar during the first two weeks of the semester.  Please note that:

  • units earned by examination will not count toward the residency requirement at Humboldt.
  • you must be enrolled in other courses as matriculated student.

Examination Credit (AP, IB, CLEP, EEE)

Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), English Equivalency Exam (EEE) and military credit are awarded specific types of credit. See Credit for External Examinations in the university catalog to find out how they will be used at Humboldt.

Military Credit

Contact VETS (Veterans Enrollment and Transition Services) for details on the military transcript evaluation process. In general, student veterans with an honorable discharge will earn a minimum of 3 semester units of credit toward the CSU General Education area E requirement. Note: Military credit that is solely technical in nature generally does not transfer.

Semester vs. Quarter Credits

Credits from a school on the quarter system will be converted to semester units. Humboldt divides the quarter units by 1.5 to determine the semester credit. For example, if you have: 90 quarter units, they will be converted to 60 semester units.

Transfer your credit

Prospective Humboldt Students

After you apply and send your official transcripts and/or exam scores (AP, IB, CLEP, etc.) to Cal Poly Humboldt, a counselor will review your transcripts to see which credits will transfer. Go to: Sending Transcripts for instructions.

We are busy throughout the application process getting your transfer credit ready in time for transfer student orientation.

Current Humboldt Students

Send your official transcripts and/or exam scores (AP, IB, CLEP, etc.) to Cal Poly Humboldt. Go to: Sending Transcripts for instructions.

A counselor in the Office of the Registrar will review your transcripts and determine which credits transfer and how the credit will apply to your degree. Any existing course-to-course articulation agreements will be applied to your transfer credit, including any general education credit.

Expect your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to be updated and finalized to include your transfer credits about 1-3 weeks after we receive your official transcripts. (International or study abroad transcripts may take longer.) 

DARS audit - transfer credit as electives

If you took coursework that was not formally pre-approved, and no articulation agreements exist, your credits may transfer in as electives. These courses must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

If you believe a transfer course should have counted for general education, please contact the Office of the Registrar at to request a review.

If you believe an elective course should count toward your major, you can work with your major advisor to see if those elective credits can be applied to your major. 

Residency Requirement

You must earn a minimum of 30 units in regular* courses at Cal Poly Humboldt.

Of those 30 units, 24 must be upper division, and 12 of the upper division units must be in your major. You must earn at least 9 units of General Education (GE) at Cal Poly Humboldt. (California Code of Regulations, Title 5 § 40403 and 40405.1)

*Regular courses do not include extension or credit earned through examination (24 units of Open University courses may be excepted)


Community College Credit 

No upper division credit may be earned for community college work (California Code of Regulations, Title 5).

No more than 70 semester units earned at an accredited community college may transfer to Cal Poly Humboldt (California Code of Regulations, Title 5). Courses taken beyond the 70-unit limit may still be used to meet general education, major or minor course requirements, and will become part of your cumulative GPA, but no additional units will be earned toward the minimum number of units required to graduate.

Repeating Courses at Another Institution

A student may not take a course at Cal Poly Humboldt, repeat it at another college, and then use the repeat policy to remove the Cal Poly Humboldt course from the grade point average.

See Policies: credit limitations for details.

Unlike standard AA or AS degrees, students who earn the Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) are guaranteed admission to a California State University (CSU) campus that offers an approved similar major.

Learn about ADT

Disclosure of Student Information

We take your privacy seriously. Read more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).